Friday 9 September 2011

Appendix vi scripts for broadcast




'Chiaroscuro'


pare down the emotion
show no fear
put on a brave face
what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger



*************************************************************


i have not left my flat for two weeks
........... and i ..........
don't want to

one of the most eye opening experiences i had at school occurred when i was (roughly) 9 or 10
the teacher explained that if four people were to visit a castle for the day their individual experiences and memories of that occasion
may not
in any way reflect each other.....


(each person is) more than the sum of their parts


..so we could never know what another person is thinking... this to me was a bombshell indeed
and still is


i’m sitting in a space; a vacuum...........
waiting
for the conversation to end
four days i’ve sat here


more than the sum of their parts
it’s magical
and terrifying
every one
everyone


i’m not moving, nor being moved
nothing touches me; i am numb
my flat has the feeling of sitting in a waiting room before a dentist appointment

like bathing in witchazel

hazel eyes today are blue not grey

i am exhausted









another bombshell........... how can travel be so tiring? sitting motionless, getting to the end of ones journey –the intended destination- is........
depleting

is it the anticipation of the end?
(such is life)


travel in the mind (even in a limited memory frame) feels the same

how is this?

exploring the same topic or thought process can feel
like too much information
even though the information may never change

*************************************************************




what is a stranger?

someone we don’t know
..........going on the ‘castle’ revelation, isn’t that everyone?

how long can i sit here?
this sense of absence is more pressing, more present than any persons presence

it’s asphyxiating


i’m sweating







i’ve been going over the conversation in my head for three weeks now
over and over

the thing that’s eating me up is that i was interrupted

just before they left, i wanted to explain myself further

i was cut off, the conversation ended

abruptly


i didn’t get a chance to finish
i need to finish it
i need it to end


imagine yourself in that situation.............

you are taking a breath -a deep breath- to speak, you fill your lungs with air,
air that is pregnant with intent and ideas, and the other person talks over you and simply

leaves

i can feel that breath trapped inside me, filling my body with the explanation
still

.......... and yet not still i feel it resonate and expand at every moment
it has come alive, it is the only thing in me that moves or cares to move


though usually your deep breath would be exhaled slowly whilst the other person is talking, (wasting all that potential......)

that didn’t happen to me
usually what would have been only an abortive, submissive eek of air

is trapped
in me
still


















someone once told me a story of a dog
it lived above a veterinary
in a converted house
he and his owners lived in the top two floors while the vet occupied the ground floor and the basement
the dog always wanted to be on the attic floor of the house and hated going out the front door as the chance encounters of other sickly dogs entering never to be seen again would distress the dog too much

the dog and his owners lived in this same flat for many years
then
when the dog was very old


he went downstairs of his own accord
sullenly
and scratched at the door of the vets


his time had come
he knew when to give up


3


i haven’t spoken to another human being for 6 days now, i realise with horror
does my voice still exist?

hello?’

a croak
a whimper
my voice is dying, choked up by this empty void inside

perhaps it will be saved



*************************************************************



my flat has been in darkness all this time
the electric has run out and the glacier in the freezer compartment runs out into the world, edging closer toward this chair everyday
perhaps it has leaked through to the neighbours ceiling

perhaps they think i’m dead

my juices leaking slowly through, a brown stain is all that’s left of me



i’ve become immensely thin, there’s little food left now
if no one asks me if i’d like to eat, i don’t

my head swims if i move at all......
or if i think of anything else other than that which forces me to sit here
so i go over the conversation again, try to remember the details,
but my concentration is failing



in front of me on the table is a newspaper which was left here that day
it looks up at me, the text waxing and waning in the poor light
the only words i can make out says ‘communicating without wires is perfectly natural’
it is a sign



i am.........
undone

i cannot restructure myself; i am on the waiting list, the next caller in the queue, the ‘present occupier’ of my own life
that is all

*************************************************************


this room seems to be shrinking..... smaller every day, it mocks me and my indolence
my familiarity with these walls breeds an irrational anger and resentment
these walls may mean to crush me, to push me out of occupying the space they create

but i can wait for that

i’ve got plenty of time

it’s fine



*************************************************************


the air is not just stale in this flat, i think........ it is stale in me

or is it me turning the very air around me unbreathable?

i feel the air rising up the back of my throat like a fog and it sits at the back of my mouth gathering pace and, gathering itself
collecting itself like a force accumulated of 100 cigarettes looking, i imagine like an exhalation from a dry ice machine.........
dense and white
it is drying my insides out
i fall to the floor
i am shattered
i am at a loss

************************************************************


there’s blood on the carpet............ i need to drink, but my faintness and the weight in my chest combine so i am unable to move

i imagine that dry ice snake being tempted out of my body by a tune that the hateful walls sing –beyond my hearing-
it dances twisting and inevitably out
of me

i cannot let this happen


i try to think of the positive
that’s what you are supposed to do
if there can be no resolution in this matter at least it has come to an end
is that so good
i’m not so sure
i did not choose this










'Chiaroscuro' (Japanese version)




感情を整えろ
恐れをみせるな
無理にでも勇気を振り絞れ
敵がいないことが君を強くする





もう2週間、家を出てないし
    また、出たくない      

(恐らく)9~10歳の頃、目を開かせるような素晴らしい出来事を学校で体験した
仮に4人がその日城を訪ねるならば彼ら個々の体験やその出来事の記憶はお互いを、いずれにせよ深く考えることはないだろうと師は言った

(皆それぞれ、)体のパーツの集まり以上である


  そう、私達は他の人の考えていることなど解るわけがない   これはたしかに私にとっての衝撃であった
そして今でもそうである


空虚の中に座っている         
会話が終わるのを待ちながら
4日(よっか)  ここに座っている


ただの体のパーツの集まりではない
それは不思議なことで
皆をぞっとさせている
皆を


私は動いていないし、動かされてもいない
なにも触ってこない、わたしの感覚は麻痺している
私の居場所は、歯医者の待合室に座っているような感覚を覚えている

まるでマンサクの葉のなかで水浴びをしているようだ

かすんだ眼は今日はブルーであり、グレーではない

疲れ果てた










またあの衝撃が      旅ってなぜそう、うんざりするのか?
動かず座って、長い旅を終わらせる―辿り着きたい目的地は―消耗、枯渇


これって終りの予感?
(人生ってこんなもの)


心の旅(たとえ限られた記憶の枠内でも)も同じ感覚だ

これはどうだ?

同じテーマの探究または思考のプロセスは情報過多を感じることがある
おそらくその情報が絶対に変わらないとしてもだ




よそ者って何?

城”の啓示を求めている
             だれか知らない人? それって皆のこと?

どれくらいここに座ってられるんだろう?
この存在してないって感覚は他の皆より、さらに差し迫ったれっきとした存在感だ

息苦しい

汗もでてきた








3週間、頭の中でその会話を繰り返している
繰り返しまた繰り返し
今も

私を悩ませているものそれは、彼らが去るすこし前に話しを遮られたこと、
もっともっと自分のことを語りたかった
遮られ   話は終わった

あっけなく


チャンスもなかった
最後まで話したい
最後まで聞いてもらいたい


自分のことと思って想像して

話をする為に一度息を吸って―胸いっぱいに―、君は胸を空気で一杯にする
意図とアイディアに満ちている空気、もうひとりが君と語りあい

ただ去っていく

呼吸が私の中で閉じ込められているのを感じる、私の体を説明の言葉で満たしながら
それでも

      まだ、私がまだそれがあらゆる瞬間に鳴り響き、拡がるのを感じていない
面白くなってきた、それは動くまたは動こうとしている私の中のたったひとつのもの

 


いつものことだが  もう一人が話をしている間君は深呼吸をゆっくりしていた、
(全ての可能性を無駄にしながら     )

それを私に対してはしなかった
いつもは、ただの失敗だったかもしれないもの、空気の様な従順な叫び
が私の中に閉じ込められている
まだ


ある時 だれかが一匹の犬の話をしてくれた
その犬は獣医がいる改造した家の上の階で生活していた
獣医が一階と地下を使い、犬と飼い主達は上のふた部屋に住んでいた
その犬はいつも家の屋根裏に居たがり、獣医にやってくる二度会うことのない病気で弱り切った犬達と偶然に会ってしまうことにとても心が痛み表のドアからでるのを嫌っていた

その犬と飼い主達はおなじフラットに長年月住んでいた   ずっと

犬が歳を重ねた時


自分の意思で下の階に下りてきた
不機嫌そうに
そして獣医のドアを引っ掻いた

彼の番がやってきたのだ
彼は覚悟する時を知っていた






6週間、もう一人の人間と喋ってない、恐怖とともに気が付いた
自分の声はまだ存在しているのか?

おーい?

しわがれた声
すすり泣き
この心の虚空によって言葉が詰まり、私の声は死にかけている

おそらく救われる




私のフラットはずっと暗闇の中
電気は切れ 冷凍庫の中の氷河も流れ出てきた、毎日じわじわと、この椅子に近寄ってくる

おそらく死んでると思われてるだろう

体液がゆっくりと漏れだしている、茶色のシミは私からのもの



とても痩せてしまった、わずかの食べる物
もし、食べるかとだれも聞かないなら、食べない

頭が泳ぐ、かりにも自分が動くなら       
それか、自分をここに座らせる、あれ以外の何か他の事を考えるなら
だからまたその会話を繰り返す、全てを思い出そうとする、
でも 集中力が弱まっていく



私の前のテーブルの上にあるものは、あの日ここに置き去りにされた新聞
私を見上げている、文字が弱い光の中で力強くなったり、弱まったりする
私が解る唯一の言葉が ‘電話回線をつかわない意思疎通こそ完璧に自然である’
何かの兆候だ



私は      
もうだめだ

自分を再構築することができない; 順番待ち名簿に載ってる、列の中で次、
私の人生の‘現在の一時的な居住者’ 
それがすべて


この部屋は縮んでいるようだ    毎日小さくなる、私と私の怠情をまねてからかう
この壁をよく知っていることが理由のない怒りと憤慨をもたらす
壁は私を押しつぶすつもりだろう、壁が創り出すこの場所から住んでいる私を追い出す為に

でも待てない

時間はたっぷりある

それでいい

この部屋の空気は少しもよどんでない、おそらく    自分自身だ

それとも、他ならぬ自分のまわりの空気を息もできないように変えているのは私?


空気が煙みたいに喉の奥から上がってくるのを感じる  そしてペースを上げ喉の奥にとどまる そして、たまっていく
それは集められた100本のたばこみたいな滝
ドライアイスのマシンからの発散のよう
密集して白い
私の中を乾かす
床に倒れる

すごく疲れた

途方にくれる


カーペットの上に血が       飲み物が要る、でも気絶と下半身の重さが組み合わさって動けない

ドライアイスの蛇が、あの不愉快な壁が歌う曲に誘われ私の体から出ようとしているようだ―私の聞こえないところで―
体をひねりながら踊る そして必然的に私の外に

そんなことはさせない


ポジティブなことを考える
それが君のすべきこと
いずれにせよ 終わってしまった この問題の中に解決策がないのなら

とても良いこと?
私はそんなに解らない
これを選択しなかった




Final piece script (differing fonts reflect different inputs/sources)



First of all

I didn't want to do this

am I allowed to say all this stuff here?

As far as I know it's all about getting your voice heard
we have things to say
and even now no one's listening

or even asking the questions


I can show you in the worst light
which is all you deserve
I will put on display your arrogant nature
while you put on airs and graces
what would they say if they could hear the pompous
tripe you come out with?

Right now I feel like I'm in between two worlds
confused
except to say
if I were blind would I feel differently?

I'm not sure what you want me to say....
it's very early in the morning

running

in a dream

I know it’s good but I only wear it when you’re not around



No, I didn’t mean to worry you



It’s been a long day



I can’t remember that



I’ll tell you about it later


I can’t tell you


You’re not around



i’m not moving, nor being moved
nothing touches me; i am numb

like bathing in witchazel

hazel eyes today are blue not grey

i am exhausted

Covered in shame
The dregs of society
I walk with my head down
And
Hope no one sees



someone reaches out fumbling for my hand in desperation
i pull back abruptly
and turn to walk away from the scene
someone is crying

your liquid voice fills my world
resonating and giving me hope
safety is here
warmth all around
I am free
you speak and I am held again
I wait on your words
peacefully like in a dream
they make my body sing

what do you want me to say?

What's this FOR anyway?

I don't really consider a voice recording to be a portrait of someone

I think voices CAN be replicated. After all, That's what impressionists do for a living



No comments:

Post a Comment